Giving back

The Culpepper Family has been actively involved in numerous community, state, and national organizations since Culpepper Realty was founded in 1937.

In 1966 Citizens of the Brazos Valley gathered to honor Cecil Culpepper for his pioneering efforts to form a Real Estate Commission in our State, serving and presiding over its board for many years, being elected to and serving on the national real estate licensing board and, most of all, for being unswervingly enthusiastic about growth in our cities, state, and nation.

In 1971 the Culpepper Family made the first private contribution to the newly formed Real Estate Research Center at Texas A&M, recently established by law with primary funding to be through Texas Real Estate License fees.

In 1978 the Culpepper Family donated 2 acres of land in Milam County near a hill called Sugarloaf Mountain to be used as a transmittal tower from Scott and White and V A Hospitals for clinical instruction to the students at the new School of Medicine at Texas A&M.

John Culpepper, Jr. served as a member of the Brazos Valley Salvation Army advisory board and as its chairman from 1997 to 2006.

Stalworth Corporation has been an honored small business contributor to the United Way since the early 1990’s. Jack Culpepper has served on the Board of Directors and has been honored as Outstanding United Way member.

The single largest contribution made by the Culpepper Family has been to health care services. Sherwood Health Care was built in 1963 and added to twice during the 1980’s and 90’s. Jack Culpepper developed and supervised building the new HUD financed Generations Center for Senior Living, opened in 2014. The old buildings closed only after the new ones opened in order not to disrupt the continuous care of patients.  For 53 years, thousands of patients have been cared for, thousands of jobs have been provided, and outstanding service offered to our neighbors in Bryan-College Station and surrounding communities.

2014

Sherwood is closed and Generations is developed new by Culpepper with HUD financing.

2003-2005

From University Square to Legacy Point and The Stack.

From Manor East Mall to Tejas Center.

1990

In 1990 Stalworth management was incorporated by the State of Texas with John Cecil Culpepper III (Jack) as Chairman and CEO, Jack had become a Certified Property Manager and Real Estate Broker. Stalworth Corporation received its certificate as an Accredited management Organization in 1994, its Vision Statement being “To Achieve the Highest Possible Return on Investment Properties”.

In 1995, Jack Culpepper bought and developed Milam Plaza in Cameron, Texas. Brookshire Brothers Grocery was added to Dollar General and Stage Stores in 2004.  

During this time John and Jack developed and brokered land and buildings for HEB Pantries in Bryan and College Station, Outback Steakhouse, Target and Chili’s in College Station.

Jack Culpepper purchased land for, leased, and built freestanding stores for Eckerd (now CVS) Pharmacy in Bryan, Brownwood, and Corsicana, Texas in 1998 and 2000.

 1970’s and early ‘80’s

 

 

Culpepper Communications was established and 15 radio stations were started or purchased in Florida, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado and Idaho.

Culpepper

 

 

“Danced Into Nightclubs” –
Roxy’s in College Station, Cardi’s in Austin and The Electric Cowboy in Del Rio..

1970’s

SCOPE OF BUSINESS

Culpepper Communications is established and 15 radio stations are started on the air or purchased in Florida, Texas and Idaho.

In May, 1971 Culpepper presented the first private donation to the new Real Estate Research Center at Texas A&M University, Governor Preston Smith having signed the bill authorizing the center during the same month.

The last endeavor John Cecil and John Cecil, Jr. was the purchase of the Circle Drive-In Movie plus other small commercial buildings including a service station at the corner of University Drive and South College Avenue in College Station. This became University Square Shopping Center bringing into town the area’s largest supermarket. Skaggs-Albertson, its first IHOP and Mr. Gatti’s Pizza, plus Plitt Cinemas. The first portion was built in 1971. Among the last photographs our family has of John Cecil Culpepper is his posing, complete with hat and cane inside the newly opened Skaggs-Albertson.

Interested in commercial real estate development and seeking diversity throughout Texas and in other states, John Cecil Culpepper, Jr. bought land, developed shopping center and freestanding commercial buildings then kept, sold or traded them in Bryan, College Station, Pasadena, Brenham, New Braunfels, Alice, Paris, Beaumont and Kingsville, Texas and brokered developments in Orlando, Florida and Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He brokered and developed 15 Wal Marts and two Sam’s Warehouses, plus more than 20 Stage Stores-Bealls throughout Texas and Louisiana. During an active career of 50 years, he developed 3 million square feet of retail space in Texas.

John Cecil Culpepper, Jr. joined the International Council of Shopping Centers at its inception in 1968, serving as Faculty Member of its University of Shopping Centers.

 

 

1965

Culpepper develops first 400,000 square foot enclosed mall in College Station-Bryan market. JC Penney, Britt’s and Kroger come to town and anchor Manor East mall.

Montgomery Wards burns down in downtown Bryan and reopens at Manor East Mall.

 

1960’s

The last cow pasture John Cecil Culpepper bought was from the Dominik family. In 1962 Carter’s Grove Subdivision, just east of College Hills was developed. The commercial part would come in the early 1970’s with his son, John Cecil Culpepper, Jr.

Another large land purchase in the ‘60’s, this time with his partner, Senator W. T. Moore, often called “The Bull of the Brazos”, resulted in the sales to St. Joseph Hospital, causing it to move from downtown Bryan to 29th Street and Villa Maria Drive and to serve physicians for adjacent medical office buildings. Other parts of this land were developed into the first modern apartment building in the area and the first facility to provide health care to the elderly throughout the region.  John Cecil Culpepper, Jr. returned home, having just been sworn into the Texas Bar, in time to work on the Osler Medical Offices, help finish the original building for Sherwood Health Care, Inc., and move into the Tropicana apartments, both completed in 1963.

1949

SCOPE OF BUSINESS

Culpepper was appointed by Governor Alan Shivers as one of the original six Real Estate Commissioners for the State of Texas.  Serving as its President during his second term on the commission, he was present for the signing of the first Texas Real Estate Licensing law.

 

1937

OUR BEGINNING

Culpepper Realty Company was established when John Cecil Culpepper developed College Hills Residential Subdivision.  Believing that Texas A&M would reverse its orientation and flip to face the newly designated Highway 6, John Cecil Culpepper bought 200 acres of pasture land to develop into a residential area. The flip did happen and both College Hills and Culpepper Realty doubled in size within two years and added, at the corner of Texas 6 and Munson Drive across from what was soon and is today the main entrance to Texas A&M, the first commercial buildings to be called a shopping strip.  College Station incorporated in 1938.

2012-2013

University Square-Legacy Point and The Stack Student Housing.

2000’s

In 2003 Jack purchased and remodeled Dollar General, Radio Shack, and Rent-A-Center at Truly Plaza in Cleveland, a new Dollar General was also opened in Cameron, Texas.  

2003 and 2004 Demalling of Southgate and remodel of Kingsville Center plus demalling of College Park in Corsicana.  

Manor East Mall and University Square developments were purchased, developed, remodeled, torn down and redeveloped by John Cecil Culpepper, Jr. and III and have remained in continuing operation by and ownership of the Culpepper Family for 50 years as of 2016.

  

 

 

 

 

 

70’s and 80’s

Diversifications resulted from the late 1980’s Real Estate and Banking Crash. Before the Galleria Office tower officially opened, both its major short and long term lenders had been taken over by the RTC and had its assets frozen. Its major tenant was taken over by the FDIC and, shortly after the Galleria Tower’s opening, closed by the RTC. The result was that the property was taken over by the RTC and lost. During the next decade, many retail centers throughout Texas were taken over by the RTC. Only one bank and one Savings and Loan in Brazos County were not closed by the RTC and given to financial institutions “too large to fail”.  The surviving savings and loan was Homestead, chartered by Culpeppers Sr. and Jr. some twenty years earlier.

With partner, William Demetree, John Cecil Culpepper Jr. and John (Jack) Culpepper III became qualified buyers for RTC properties and were able to buy back some of their own properties and purchase others.

It was during this tense and difficult time that John Cecil Culpepper III, having finished his degree in Organizational Communications in 1987 and started the process of becoming a Certified Property Manager, returned to join Culpepper Realty. It was his plan to emphasize renovation of already owned properties and to develop, purchase and join with others in Property Management.

1971

 

Kroger Grocery, US Post Office in Bryan

1973

 

Culpepper Plaza, Culpepper Plaza II and Culpepper Office Park in College Station.

1971

 
 

LaVillita, Alice TX, Kingsville TX, Shopping Center, Walnut Square in New Braunfels and Southmore Plaza in Pasadena, TX.

1978

Mirabeau Square in Paris, TX. 

1982

Market Square in Brenham Texas.

1986

Culpepper North in Bryan Texas.

1987

 

 

Galleria Office Tower and Village in Bryan, Texas.  

1966

Walmart joins Manor East Mall and is new to the market.

1963

BANKING

Culpepper Sr. and Jr. obtained a bank charter that formed the second bank in College Station, The Bank of Commerce.

1962

 

 

Carter’s Grove Subdivision.

1963

 

 

Osler Medical Offices, Sherwood Health Care, Tropicana Apartments. 

 

1950’s

CONTINUED TO GROW

In 1950 Culpepper turns cow pastures into Ridgecrest, the first true shopping center between Bryan and College Station and develops the Oak Terrace subdivision behind it in and across Texas Avenue in both cities.  He developed the first apartment complex on College Avenue in Bryan.

Bryan lost 25% of its population in 1955 when Bryan Air Force base closed. John Cecil Culpepper responded by making the single largest land purchase in the history of Bryan, another cow pasture, and promptly developed it into the area’s first Regional Shopping Center, Townshire, and Bryan’s largest residential subdivision, Culpepper Manor.

1945

SERVING

Culpepper helped organize the Bryan-College Station Real Estate
Board serving as its first President

JOHN CECIL CULPEPPER

2014

Sherwood is closed and Generations is developed new by Culpepper with HUD financing.

2012-2013

University Square-Legacy Point and The Stack Student Housing.

2003-2005

From University Square to Legacy Point and The Stack.

From Manor East Mall to Tejas Center.

2000’s

In 2003 Jack purchased and remodeled Dollar General, Radio Shack, and Rent-A-Center at Truly Plaza in Cleveland, a new Dollar General was also opened in Cameron, Texas.  

2003 and 2004 Demalling of Southgate and remodel of Kingsville Center plus demalling of College Park in Corsicana.  

Manor East Mall and University Square developments were purchased, developed, remodeled, torn down and redeveloped by John Cecil Culpepper, Jr. and III and have remained in continuing operation by and ownership of the Culpepper Family for 50 years as of 2016.

1990

In 1990 Stalworth management was incorporated by the State of Texas with John Cecil Culpepper III (Jack) as Chairman and CEO, Jack had become a Certified Property Manager and Real Estate Broker. Stalworth Corporation received its certificate as an Accredited management Organization in 1994, its Vision Statement being “To Achieve the Highest Possible Return on Investment Properties”.

In 1995, Jack Culpepper bought and developed Milam Plaza in Cameron, Texas. Brookshire Brothers Grocery was added to Dollar General and Stage Stores in 2004.  

During this time John and Jack developed and brokered land and buildings for HEB Pantries in Bryan and College Station, Outback Steakhouse, Target and Chili’s in College Station.

Jack Culpepper purchased land for, leased, and built freestanding stores for Eckerd (now CVS) Pharmacy in Bryan, Brownwood, and Corsicana, Texas in 1998 and 2000.

  

 

 

70’s and 80’s

Diversifications resulted from the late 1980’s Real Estate and Banking Crash. Before the Galleria Office tower officially opened, both its major short and long term lenders had been taken over by the RTC and had its assets frozen. Its major tenant was taken over by the FDIC and, shortly after the Galleria Tower’s opening, closed by the RTC. The result was that the property was taken over by the RTC and lost. During the next decade, many retail centers throughout Texas were taken over by the RTC. Only one bank and one Savings and Loan in Brazos County were not closed by the RTC and given to financial institutions “too large to fail”.  The surviving savings and loan was Homestead, chartered by Culpeppers Sr. and Jr. some twenty years earlier.

With partner, William Demetree, John Cecil Culpepper Jr. and John (Jack) Culpepper III became qualified buyers for RTC properties and were able to buy back some of their own properties and purchase others.

It was during this tense and difficult time that John Cecil Culpepper III, having finished his degree in Organizational Communications in 1987 and started the process of becoming a Certified Property Manager, returned to join Culpepper Realty. It was his plan to emphasize renovation of already owned properties and to develop, purchase and join with others in Property Management.

 1970’s and early ‘80’s

 

 

Culpepper Communications was established and 15 radio stations were started or purchased in Florida, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado and Idaho.

1971

 

Kroger Grocery, US Post Office in Bryan

1973

 

Culpepper Plaza, Culpepper Plaza II and Culpepper Office Park in College Station.

1971

 
 

LaVillita, Alice TX, Kingsville TX, Shopping Center, Walnut Square in New Braunfels and Southmore Plaza in Pasadena, TX.

1978

Mirabeau Square in Paris, TX. 

1982

Market Square in Brenham Texas.

1986

Culpepper North in Bryan Texas.

1987

 

 

Galleria Office Tower and Village in Bryan, Texas.  

1966

Walmart joins Manor East Mall and is new to the market.

1965

Culpepper develops first 400,000 square foot enclosed mall in College Station-Bryan market. JC Penney, Britt’s and Kroger come to town and anchor Manor East mall.

Montgomery Wards burns down in downtown Bryan and reopens at Manor East Mall.

 

1963

BANKING

Culpepper Sr. and Jr. obtained a bank charter that formed the second bank in College Station, The Bank of Commerce.

1960’s

The last cow pasture John Cecil Culpepper bought was from the Dominik family. In 1962 Carter’s Grove Subdivision, just east of College Hills was developed. The commercial part would come in the early 1970’s with his son, John Cecil Culpepper, Jr.

Another large land purchase in the ‘60’s, this time with his partner, Senator W. T. Moore, often called “The Bull of the Brazos”, resulted in the sales to St. Joseph Hospital, causing it to move from downtown Bryan to 29th Street and Villa Maria Drive and to serve physicians for adjacent medical office buildings. Other parts of this land were developed into the first modern apartment building in the area and the first facility to provide health care to the elderly throughout the region.  John Cecil Culpepper, Jr. returned home, having just been sworn into the Texas Bar, in time to work on the Osler Medical Offices, help finish the original building for Sherwood Health Care, Inc., and move into the Tropicana apartments, both completed in 1963.

1962

 

 

Carter’s Grove Subdivision.

1963

 

 

Osler Medical Offices, Sherwood Health Care, Tropicana Apartments. 

 

1950’s

CONTINUED TO GROW

In 1950 Culpepper turns cow pastures into Ridgecrest, the first true shopping center between Bryan and College Station and develops the Oak Terrace subdivision behind it in and across Texas Avenue in both cities.  He developed the first apartment complex on College Avenue in Bryan.

Bryan lost 25% of its population in 1955 when Bryan Air Force base closed. John Cecil Culpepper responded by making the single largest land purchase in the history of Bryan, another cow pasture, and promptly developed it into the area’s first Regional Shopping Center, Townshire, and Bryan’s largest residential subdivision, Culpepper Manor.

1949

SCOPE OF BUSINESS

Culpepper was appointed by Governor Alan Shivers as one of the original six Real Estate Commissioners for the State of Texas.  Serving as its President during his second term on the commission, he was present for the signing of the first Texas Real Estate Licensing law.

 

1945

SERVING

Culpepper helped organize the Bryan-College Station Real Estate
Board serving as its first President

1937

OUR BEGINNING

Culpepper Realty Company was established when John Cecil Culpepper developed College Hills Residential Subdivision.  Believing that Texas A&M would reverse its orientation and flip to face the newly designated Highway 6, John Cecil Culpepper bought 200 acres of pasture land to develop into a residential area. The flip did happen and both College Hills and Culpepper Realty doubled in size within two years and added, at the corner of Texas 6 and Munson Drive across from what was soon and is today the main entrance to Texas A&M, the first commercial buildings to be called a shopping strip.  College Station incorporated in 1938.

JOHN CECIL CULPEPPER